Running is a great way to stay fit and to remain at the peak of one’s health. If you have been planning out to start a running habit in the recent times, then it should not be hard on you. The running program for the beginners has to be a gradual process involving time and patience. It should tend to be a progressive program that commences with more walking than running and then gradually, translates into more running than walking.
When you are able to achieve the two miles nonstop running goal, then you can plan out your next set of running goals. You can continue with the two-miles running for a time to 3-4 miles on a weekly basis. A recent study has revealed that this running regime is highly successful and effective in losing or maintaining weight and in the improvement of various health factors like balancing the blood pressures, cholesterol levels and so more.
Adopt the Run-Walk Method
For the beginners, the run-walk method is the most effective. This helps the first-timers in getting started with confidence and then helping them to gain ample experience for improving the race times. This method does not imply that you should walk when you are tired. On the contrary, it signifies taking brief walking sessions in between the running shots when you are not at all tired.
For the beginners, the run-walk method asks for an initial running period of 10-30 seconds followed by a walking session of 1-2 minutes and then repeating this regime for achieving the best results. In the run-walk method, the amateur runners do not get tired easily and thus do not lose hope & motivation in the healthy benefits of daily running.
Choose a Training Plan
You must adhere to a simple running & training plan that could help you stick to the same. You can try to follow it as:
- Training at least three days a week
- Running or run-walk for around 20-30 minutes on each training session
- Taking a longer run-walk or running for about 40 minutes on the weekend
- Cross-training or resting on alternate days
- Running at a conversational pace
- Considering taking regular walk-breaks
Additional Running Tips for Beginners
Here are some key points that would help you out in planning the running session for yourself:
- If you are above 40 and not accustomed to any form of exercise, then you can consult an expert or physician before starting out on the running regime.
- You must schedule the workouts. You would never find time for it unless you would schedule the same.
- Be expectant of some bad days. Everyone who would start the running regime would have it. However, it tends to pass away quickly. The bad days should not demotivate you to discontinue the running session.
Do not rush into achieving the goals. A gradual process would serve much more effective in bringing out the desired results.