The right choice of the hiking shoes can differentiate your experience of an enjoyable trek to that of a painful one. The proper fitting and high-quality shoes can keep your feet intact and well-grounded for a day-long hiking experience. However, the wrong choice of the same can result in a miserable experience for you.
Here are some tips on buying the best hiking shoes for yourself. This would ensure that you have an exhilarating outdoor experience sans any leg problems. Have a read:
Know About the Type of Trail You Would be Treading
The selection of your hiking boots would depend on the terrain you will be hiking. Here is a primer about the style selection on the basis of different terrains:
- Trail: If your backpack is light and the trail is well-kept, then you can go for buying the mid-cut or low-cut hiking boots. These shoes usually come with a combination of fabric/leather which has multiple seams with a breathable and waterproof lining inside. The trail shoes usually come with stiffer soles for offering more stability and better traction.
- Rough Trail: If light packing along with tough day-hiking is your course of the day, then you can go for buying the ankle-length high boots. These hiking shoes are available in fabric/leather combinations along with breathable and waterproof linings. Moreover, the presence of tapered plastic midsoles gives these shoes great rigidity to your feet against the stony rough trails.
- Mountaineering: The boots for mountaineering are characterized by full-grain leather exteriors with minimal seams, a bit of insulation and excellent traction. Such boots usually rise above the ankle to ensure a firm grip on your feet.
Before trekking out with these shoes on, you should have a good running or walking session with these in advance. Otherwise, you might end up in a good number of blisters. You must look out for rockered soles, rubber rands, minimal heel slippage along with a great durability to have a great mountaineering experience.
Go for the Right Fit
When you are on a trailing spree, then the right fit of hiking shoes would mean a lot. If you wish to stay away from the painful blisters, bone spurs, blackened toenails, and sprained arches; then the right fitting hiking boots are a must for you.
- Know your size: For this, you must know your exact foot size to get on with the right fit of hiking shoes. Do not shop for a boot if the narrow toebox tends to cramp your toes. In addition to the right fit of the hiking shoes into your foot, additional factors like ample padding and right shape should also play a determining role.
- Try at evening: One tip to get the best hiking shoes that fit your feet is to try the shoes at the end of the day. As your feet swells a bit due to the day’s activities, you can have the largest size for yourself that would amplify your hiking experience.
Go out hiking with the best pair of hiking shoes and have fun!